Johns Creek High School Band Program Newsletter –Mid May 2017
Dear Band Parents—
Here’s what happening this month and beyond:
1. If you are new to this program and are receiving this newsletter for the first time, welcome!! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
2. The Band Handbook and Marching Band information packet, which includes our football and competition schedule for the 2017 season, are now available on our website.
- Marching Band packet: https://gladiatorbands.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/JCHS-Marching-Band-Packet-PDF.pdf
- Band Handbook: http://www.gladiatorbands.com/Documents/JCHS%20Band%20Camp%20Forms%202015-16.pdf
3. Please note the following possible changes to the schedule listed in the Marching Band packet:
· The Post Band Camp Rehearsals will be held on August 1 & 2 (Tuesday and Wednesday) from 6:00pm-8:30pm, at JCHS. This change was necessary due to the 9th Grade Orientation that will take place on August 3rd.
· The Fulton County Marching Band Exhibition date is finalized and it will take place on September 23, the date listed in the band packet.
· The November 4 football game is scheduled on the same day as our final marching contest. This is not a conflict, as we can participate in the contest, then travel to the game. There is also a chance that the game could be on Friday, November 3. So, keep that date open as well
4. The fee schedules for Marching Band, Color Guard and Band class, known as Operational Enhancement Obligation (OEOs), for the 2017-18 season are now available. They are located on the band website on the following links:
· For Marching Band and Color Guard, there are two separate payment options.
· Even If you are in band class only, you are still required to pay OEOs, although it is not as much as marching and guard. This payment is due by Thursday, August 10, 2017.
· If you have further questions, contact Elise Hutchins at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. The first OEO payment for Marching Band was due on Tuesday, April 25 and the first OEO payment for Color Guard was due on Monday, May 8. If you have not made payment, do so as soon as possible.
· Please make your checks payable to JCHSBBA and place it in the lock box in the band room.
· If you are a rising ninth grader you can mail it to JCHSBBA Treasurer, P.O. Box 5341, Alpharetta, GA 30023-5341.
· The OEOs can also be paid with PayPal. See PayPal instructions included with this newsletter.
6. The Band Commitment Form (BCF) was due from all returning band students and rising ninth band students on Tuesday, April 25. If you have not turned it in, do so as soon as possible. This form can be found on the website though this link:
· The BCF must be filled out in pen and must be LEGIBLE. (Maybe type it?).
· The BCF is important because it because it lets us know the number of students in the program for planning purposes. It gives us contact information so we can keep the members informed of what is going on with the band.
7. The Permission slip/ Release was due on Tuesday, April 25. A copy of your insurance card, front and back, must be included. If you have not turned in it in, do so as soon as possible. This form can be found on the website through this link: https://gladiatorbands.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Release_Form.pdf
8. Finals take place on May 23, 24 and 25. These are half days,
9. If you have selected the five-installment payment option, the second Marching Band and Guard payment is due on May 25. Please pay by check or PayPal as discussed in Paragraph 5 above.
10. The last day of school is May 25. Graduation takes place that evening. Wind ensemble and selected members of Symphonic band play. See Mr. Estep for details.
11. Congratulations to our seniors and good luck in your future adventures. We appreciate all your efforts while you were with us which made our program special. We also want to greatly thank the senior parents who volunteered tirelessly to support their children and this program.
12. If you are graduating or not returning to the band program next year, consider donating your concert uniform for future generations of band students. See Theresa Sloman for further details at email@example.com
13. Students who participate in marching band and color guard need to go for a physical and submit it by June 25.
· The physical is good for one year.
· Any student who participates in two marching band seasons can waive the Personal Fitness requirement. This allows the student the opportunity to take another semester class of their choosing
· The physical examination form can be found on the band website at https://gladiatorbands.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Physical_form.pdf
14. Thanks to Mr. Estep and Ms. Dickens for making the 2016-17 program a success! Let’s also thanks the officers of the JCHSBBA board in their effort to keep everything going smoothly.
15. A special thanks to our outgoing Vice President, Gregg Blotner, for all his hard work over his years with the band!!
16. A reminder that the JCHSBBA Board members for the 2017-18 school year will be Theresa Sloman, President, Gabby Mills, Vice President, Elise Hutchins, Treasurer, Christie Culver, Fundraising Treasurer, and Debbie Kellermeyer, Secretary.
17. Congratulations to our student leadership for the 2017-18 season. They are Drum Majors—Colin Freyer and Brian Cho; Band Captains–Ally Lublin and Taylor Lemke, Wind Captain–Sammy Stoker; Brass Captain–Jared Kessler; Band Manager–Senator Greene; Percussion Captains–Josh Paredes, Lucas Williams and Luke Sloman; Guard Captains–Lily Xie and Ying Yip; Operations–Madison Culver, Luke Ruane,Teddy Bartz. Will Leonard, Alex Jaeger, Jackson Mills, Eli Ethridge,Josh Thacker and Logan Bowers; and Uniform Captain–Abby Orridge
18. Jen Freyer is our spirit wear chair. If you have questions, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, claim your spirit wear online and send in your check made to JCHSBBA. You can reserve your items using this link:
19. If you have any fundraising ideas, please contact Christie Culver, Fundraising Treasurer, at email@example.com
20. Be sure to join our Facebook page, Jchs Band Johns Creek!! Also, view all our band photos on our photo sharing website, Smugmug, through this link: http://jchsband.smugmug.com/
21. This is the last newsletter that I will write and send out for the band. I enjoyed writing them and I hope you enjoyed reading them. Jen Freyer is assuming this task and she will do an awesome job!
If you have any announcements you wish to put in the newsletter, contact Jen Freyer at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you wish to unsubscribe from receiving these emails, contact Theresa Sloman at email@example.com
GO GLADIATOR BAND!!!